Sunday, January 31, 2010

The View From The Side




(If you have a problem seeing this video you can view it at here.)

I looked at the other videos and noticed all of them seem to be from the front. That is fine for spotting pollen and some activities but it does not show just how many bees are working in this hive. This morning I shot the video from the side and you can really see how active the bees are.
My apologies for the shaking but I am a certified senior citizen and not in control of all my parts any more. They come in wave after wave. I do need to go inside the hive for a peek and see how much room there is
One day I will get a tripod and provide a steadier video with the Flip Video. Aside from my shaking it is a fine little camera for this purpose. The Flip takes up no room and fits into a small pocket. I have not had a chance to use it when I have the Brushy Mountain bee suit on but that time will come. When it does I may have to switch from the leather gloves to rubber ones so I can work the controls easier.

There is a palm tree right next to the hive and the bees swoop down around that tree. If I stand under the fronds I keep out of the flight path and avoid the dreaded bees-in-the-hair. They are not attacking, it is just that fat head is in the way and unexpected. The few stings in the head I have gotten were not bad but I prefer to avoid them if I can., my head is fat enough without any extra help from the bugs..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see the video but it hasn't worked for two days.

Dennis In The Dale said...

I have no idea what the problem could be. It plays okay on my computer. I will see if I can find another way to deal with the problem.

Dennis In The Dale said...

If the video does not open, try it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenskill/4324865612/