Saturday, May 7, 2011

Honey 'n Beans

These are Blodgett Canyon Baked Beans and there is a story attached to them. This recipe is from Lonnie Gillette who posted the recipe and story on Camp-Cook.com
 The Story from Lonnie Gillette: "I call this recipe Blodgett Canyon Baked Beans in honor of my good friend Don Mackey. He and I spent much time in Blodgett Canyon in the Bitterroot Mountains while we were growing up. He went on to become a Missoula Smoke Jumper and was killed in the Storm King Mountain Fire in Colorado. A bronze statue memorializes him about 1/4 mile up the canyon trail and you can read about his death in the book, "Fire On The Mountain" by John Maclean. Raise a glass to Don prior to comsumption."

Blodgett Canyon Baked Beans

Combine the following ingredients in a large mixing bowl:

3/4 lb. bacon ends & pieces or thick cut bacon, trimmed of excess fat and fried
1 med. onion, chopped and fried with bacon
1 16oz. can pork & beans, drain excess liquid but do not rinse
1 16oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 16oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 C. ketchup
1/2 Tbl. honey mustard
1/2 Tbl. cider vinegar
1/4 C. brown sugar
1/4 C. molasses
pinch of salt
pinch of freshly ground pepper
1 shot of bourbon

After mixing thoroughly, transfer to a bean pot or 10" dutch oven and bake at 350 F for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. Stir once or twice during the cooking process and a little water can be added to obtain desired consistency or if the beans are drying out.

The beans as they went into the oven ( this is can be done with charcoal but I am inside today.)  A new high end organic food store, Sprouts, opened down the road so I got my supplies from them today.  That meant making a few adjustments to the recipe.   I did not have honey mustard so I added Dijon and some of my own honey.  I resisted the temptation to add garlic but I did toss in a small can of chopped green chili peppers.  Sprouts is too organic for Pork & Beans.   I used canned Great Northern beans and doubled the molasses and brown sugar.  Then I added another 1/3 cup of honey, just because.  Found the Wild Turkey American Honey last week.  It is little too sweet for my tastes but it served as the bourbon called for in the recipe. That shot of Wild Honey on the stove, that was for the Chef and a salute to Don MacKey.
Pour your own and join me in a toast.  Slainte!

No comments: